Here’s my product review “Hits or Misses,” video for the month of July. Enjoy.
Here’s my product review “Hits or Misses,” video for the month of July. Enjoy.
I decided to do a video this time to give my opinions and reviews on the latest beauty products that I tried. Enjoy!
Soap and Glory, Beauty sleep accelerator, night and flight moisture miracle
Soap and Glory, One Heck of a blot, instant perfecting Primer
Fresh, Rose Floral Toner
LUSH, Cup O’Coffee, face and body mask
Urban Decay, All Nighter, makeup setting spray.
Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil, dry oil finishing spray.
I’ve gotten asked by several people on how I keep my hair looking healthy and shiny so I decided to do a post about it. I included a video on this subject to talk about it but I wanted to go more in depth on the topic. I also included some photos of some of the hair products I use as examples. Here are tips and secrets on how to achieve gorgeous looking locks.
1. Use the proper shampoo and conditioner- For example, if your hair is dry, damaged, or you use a lot of color, buy a shampoo and conditioner that is meant for color treated and/or dry hair and that is very hydrating. I use the brand Keratase, which is a little on the expensive side, but brands like Paul Mitchell are wonderful as well.
2. Hair Masks- Hair masks are great on keeping your hair healthy. You apply them after your shampoo and leave them on for about three to five minutes depending on the quality of your strands. I love the brand Maui which you can pick up at pretty much any drug store and like different shampoos and conditioners, they make masks for all different hair types. Your hair will also feel amazing afterwards.
3. Be gentle to your hair- After washing your hair, don’t be harsh and shake your hair with your towel. Hair is more delicate when wet and rubbing your hair harshly will cause more strands to fall out. Wrap your wet hair GENTLY in a towel instead or just let it dry naturally.
4. Don’t brush wet hair- Don’t brush wet hair unless it’s with a wide tooth comb or a detangler brush. Regular brushes can cause extra hair to fall out.
5. Get rid of split ends- If you’re trying to grow your hair long, like myself, you still need to get split ends trimmed. Hair stylists won’t cut too much of the length off and will keep your ends looking healthy and will get rid of any dryness.
6. Don’t blow dry soaking wet hair- If you can, after you finish washing, don’t blow dry your hair right away. Wait until your hair is damp. By doing this, you’ll use less heat and cuts your time in half. The less heat you use, the better it is for your hair.
7. Thermal Protection- Using a thermal protectant is extremely important before you use any hot tools like a blow dryer, curling iron, flat iron, etc. It keeps your hair from getting major heat damage. You can find thermal protection products pretty much anywhere. I love using ACAI daily smoothing serum. All I need is about a dime size amount of this cream, run it through my damp hair, then blow dry. I also really like Paul Mitchell’s HOT OFF THE PRESS thermal protection hair spray which is great to use before curling or straightening your hair. It doesn’t make your hair really stiff which I always love.
8. Giving your hair some extra shine- To give your hair some extra shine, buy a great shine serum. There are some many shiny serums on the market. Moroccan Oil or Coconut Oil serums are wonderful and more natural then other serums and are very healthy for you hair. I switch my serums up. Paul Mitchell makes a great one that I use a lot. It’s PAUL MITCHELL smooths and conditions and again you only need a dime size amount to smooth and keep your hair looking extra shiny. A good tip that works for me is to apply the shine serum the day after you blow dry your hair.
***I HOPE THESE TIPS AND WAYS TO KEEP YOUR HAIR HEALTHY HELP! ALL THESE SUGGESTIONS WORK FOR BOTH MEN AND WOMEN!!!
Check out my latest video on how to take care and keep your bangs looking fabulous!
I absolutely love getting professional blow outs and always want to make them last as long as possible. Even when I do my own blow outs, I like to keep them looking fabulous as much as I can for as many days as I can. If you are like me, here are some ways to maintain you do’.
1. When you first get your hair styled and blown out, whether you do it yourself or get it done by a hair stylist, don’t weigh your hair down with a ton of products like a lot of hair spray, pomade, or styling wax. Use as little product as you can so your hair doesn’t feel weighed down or greasy right away.
For me, when I first get my blow-out or blow dry my own hair, I only use a thermal spray or cream to protect my hair from the heat. Then I’ll use a dime size amount of shine serum at the very end to keep my hair looking shiny and healthy.
2. Don’t wash your hair everyday. My hair isn’t oily so I don’t need to wash my hair every day but even if your hair is more on the oily side, you can buy dry shampoo in either the color of your hair or a clear dry shampoo and spray a little at your roots which will soak up an excess oil. A little bit of baby powder sprinkled at your roots will work the same as the dry shampoo but if your hair is dark like mine, you might look like you have dandruff so I would recommend getting dry shampoo instead.
A great one is, Batiste Dry Shampoo but there are a lot of different ones on the market.
3. If your blow out starts to fall limp after a day or two and want to get your volume back, there is a great product you can use to give your do’ back it’s fabulous volume without a bunch of teasing and hairspray. It’s called Thickening, “Dryspun Finish,” and it’s by Bumble and Bumble and it’s a dry spray that creates and helps instant fullness and gives your hair a great airy texture. My friend Krystal who does my hair a lot told me about this product and I love using it. All you have to do is hold the spray about 10 inches away and spray even strokes where you want the airy texture or some lift.
The other way to use this awesome product which I mainly use it for is for when blow out loses some volume, I spray at the roots then ruffle them with my fingers. I have instant volume after I do that. You don’t have to use a lot of this spray which is good and won’t way down your hair.
4. Another great tip to keep your hair style help up, especially if you have waves or curls is to take a silk or nylon scarf and tie it gently around your head before you head out for the evening and/or definitely before you go to sleep.
5. Last great way to make your beautiful blow outs last long is to not do any heavy styling until the 2nd or 3rd day you’ve had your hair washed and blown out. This can vary because of the type hair you have, thick or thin, oily or dry, etc., but if you’re hair is freshly washed and dried, any fun looks you want to do won’t work or stay as well as if you do a fun look on the 3rd or 4th day when you’re hair produces more natural oils.
For example, you all know I’m a pinup model and love doing my victory rolls, bumper bangs, and more but I don’t do those type of hair looks until at least the 3rd day of my blown out hair. It’s easier for me to get my desired hair look.
Depending on the time of year or the weather, my hair can get a bit dry so if attempt to do a vintage style on the 1st or 2nd day, I’ll have to use a lot more product and heat instruments on my hair which can cause damage and leave your hair feeling icky. Plus it’s more time consuming but those styles can be hard to do on freshly clean hair.
Hope these tips help to keep your locks lustrous for as long as possible!
For any kind of hair looks, especially the pinup, vintage, and rock and roll looks I like to do, I feel there are certain hair tools and essentials that are definitely necessary to have in your repoirtare. These items I can definitely not live without but it you think of any extra goodies that you should have in your arsenal, please post them in the comment section. Enjoy!
1. BOBBY PINS- I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have these pins. For pinup or rock styles, bobby pins are estential , I have them in both of the smaller and larger I use both but since my hair is so thick, the bigger ones I usually more.
2. HAIR SPRAY-A good hold spray is what you need to help set and finish certain looks such as victory rolls, barrel rolls, etc.
3 THERMAL SPRAY- You can find this everywhere and its purpose to protect your hair follicles and helps seal them in before you use hot tools. It also protects from any dryness an/or damage from your hot tools.
4. POMADE/WAX- Smooths away any flyways and like hairspray it can help set a hair style but it’s a bit lighter and more flexible than hairspray.
5. CURLING IRON- This is probably the most tool for pinup hair. It helps sculpt the hair and gives your fabulous hair looks. Size wise, if you want tighter curls use a smaller iron and if you want more of a wave use a bigger iron.
6. HAIR STRAIGHTENER – I sometimes use a straightener to curl my hair. It’s a neat way to do it. Obviously it’s mostly used for straightening hair. Also if you have really curly hair, sometimes, depending on the hair style, it’s better to straighten your hair before styling it.
7. PIN CURL CLIPS- You definitely need these to pin your hair to hold in the curl. When you do pin curls, make sure they’re all cool before taking the clips out. After that, you can lightly brush them out.
8. RAT TAIL COMB- This is for teasing your hair and definitely a tool you can’t go without. The backside of the comb is perfect for parting your hair in sections.
9. SMOOTHING BRUSH- Help to smooth your teased hair without pulling it and smooths any baby hairs you may have.
10. HAIR COMBS- Combs are nice to hold your hair in styles, especially if you don’t want a bunch of bobby pins stuck in your hair.
Like I said at the beginning here, these are must-faves for pinup/vintage hair but if you have any other ideas or tools you love to use, please feel free to post in my comment box below.
A few posts ago, I wrote and showed my favorite beauty products so it made sense to post about my favorite hair products at the moment.
From left to right:
1. ‘Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Moroccan Sleek Oil Treatment.’ This is a fairly new product that I started using this past month. This weather sometimes make my hair very dry and I needed a new serum to keep my hair shiny and frizz free which is exactly what this product does. It has Moroccan Argan Oil which is wonderful for keeping hair healthy but doesn’t make it oily or greasy. It’s specifically designed for frizzy, dry, and unmanageable hair and can be used in three different ways. The first is after you come out of the shower, work it through your damp hair as a leave in conditioner for softness before you dry and style your hair. You also can add it directly to your hair while still in the shower for added conditioning. The last way to use this product is by rubbing a few drops of this in your hands and apply throughout your hair after you blow dry it to tame frizz and add shine.
2. ‘Bumble and Bumble BB Classic Hairspray.” This is my favorite hairspray and have been using it for a long time. It works perfectly for any hair style and gives your hair a nice strong hold but doesn’t make it sticky or crunchy which is always a good thing. I also love this hair spray because when you’re ready to take your hair down and brush it out, you don’t tangle or pull you hair out because it’s overly stiff with product. This spray is very easy to brush out. Any products by Bumble and Bumble I love but this is definitely my favorite.
3. ‘Goldwell Straight Style, Flat Marvel Straightening Balm.” This balm is for when you blow dry and/or flat iron your hair. It protects it from heat damage and helps when you want your hair perfectly straight. Just rub a small amount through your damp hair right before you blow dry and style.
4. “Bed Head, After Party.” This is a smoothing cream for silky, soft, and healthy hair. I like using this on my thick hair after I blow dry. Just rub a dime to quarter size amount in your hands and apply to dry hair. It’s a very effective product.
5. ‘Ogx Quenched Sea Mineral Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner.” Ogx has a whole line of different shampoos and conditioners and I remember when I first tried the Moroccan Oil set and liking it a lot but was curious and wanted to try another shampoo and conditioner from this brand. I really like the Sea Mineral Moisture. Both the shampoo and conditioner are nice and thick which is an especially good and helpful thing for the winter weather.