I’ve never done a psychobilly makeup tutorial or posted a lot of my psychobilly looks on here so I decided to change that. For those who don’t know what psychobilly is, here are some definitions.
Psychobilly is a rock music fusion genre that mixes elements of Rockabilly and Punk Rock.
TheFreeDictionary.com defines it as “loud frantic rockabilly music.”
About.com says that it takes the traditional countrified rock style know as rockabilly ramping up its speed to a sweaty pace, and combining it with punk rock, sci-fi, and horror film imagery. SO DUH, OF COURSE I LOVE IT!
As far as my definition goes as psychobilly makeup, I believe it’s taking the traditional rockabilly makeup and amping it up with bright colors, different color lipstick rather than classic red, different color combinations, more eyeliner, longer lashes, etc.
Here is a blue and green psychobilly look and tutorial which is a color combo that I don’t use a lot in makeup. This look was a new one for me and was fun to do and play around with. MAKEUP SHOULD ALWAYS BE FUN! THAT’S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING! IF MAKEUP ISN’T FUN, THAN REALLY WHAT’S THE POINT?
Enjoy and listed below are the colors and products I used:
First I used “Safe Word,” as a transition shade from the Jeffree Star Cosmetics palette, “Androgyny.”
Second I used the green color “EXU,” from the Urban Decay Jean-Michel Basquiat palette. I spray MAC cosmetics Prep and Prime Fix on my brush before dipping it into the green.
Third color I used was also from the “Androgyny” palette in the dark blue shade, “Swallow,” just about my crease.
My crease color is from the Jeffree Star Cosmetics palette, “Beauty Killer” in the sparkly blue shade, “Expensive.” I sprayed my angled shadow brush again with the prep and prime to make the blue glitter pop and put it in my crease and slowly dragged it down to the outer corner of my lid.
The last color I used in my inner corners is “Rich Bitch” from “Beauty Killer.” I sprayed my detailed brush and pressed the glittery gold in the inner corners of my eyes to make them pop.
I really love this color combination.
I did my eyeliner wings as normal but made them longer and more extreme. Underneath my eyes I took a small brush and lined my eyes in the two blue colors I used on top, darker at the outer corner, brighter blue towards the inner. I applied mascara to both top and bottom lashes and lined my waterline with Urban Decay 24/7 waterline in black.
For my highlight, I used my David Bowie highlighter from Bitch Slap Cosmetics and used blush from Stila in both “Romantic” and “Playful.”
Last for my lipstick, I used “Venus Fly Trap” from the Jeffree Star Cosmetics Chrome Collection. I normally wear my classic red lipstick with this look but I thought the green color was a fun alternative.
My look was then complete and I’m very happy with how it turned out.
If you haven’t seen my article here of my favorite accessory brands that I posted not too long ago, definitely check it out. I have so many brands that I love it’s very hard to choose my favorites. I decided to write about the labels that I wear the most. Some of them, I’ve already mentioned in my favortie accessories and in past articles where I did photoshoots with some of these brands, but still wanted to include them here and why they’re my favorites. After the lists of my favorite clothing designers, I will post one of my clothing pieces underneath them.
1. Sourpuss- I have written and talked about Sourpuss for a long time and also photographed in their clothes plus done many photoshoots for them. There are many reasons why I love this brand. The first thing is how the clothing is sized. They are consistent with their sizing unlike other brands. For example. if you buy a dress in your size, mostly any other dresses will be the same, making it easier to buy clothing online because you already know your perfect size.
2. Banned apparel, “Dancing Days.”- Is another vintage and rockabilly style brand, as well as they also create alternate punk clothing.
3. Hellbunny clothing brand and also Voodoo Vixen – And here are another two fabulous, retro, vintage inspired brands.
4. I.N.C- Stands for International Clothing.I love the brand I.N.C and first discovered them of course at Macy’s, years ago. Their clothing is very classic, and stylish. And like Sourpuss Clothing, their sizings are the same no matter what clothing style you are looking for. They are also an inexpensive; not cheap, brand and the quality is absolutely wonderful. Another similar brand that I love which the quality is amazing is Michael Kors. Some of Kors clothing can be more expensive but again the quality is amazing and will last you for a very long time.
My fabulous I.N.C zebra collared sweater blouse and also my fabulous Michael Kors cheetah and gold chain dress!
5. Betsey Johnson– I already mentioned Betsey in my favorite accessory blog article but I needed to add her here again because I love her clothing as well. I’ve loved Betsey Johnson for so long that I can’t pinpoint the exact time. Her stuff is so unique and she is never afraid to take risks. Her patterns and colors are always so cute and pretty. I love the cute cut of her clothing. I wish I still she had her boutique. I shopped there a lot when I lived in San Francisco. You can find her stuff online, Macy’s, Nordstroms, and other other places. Whenever I see anything new from her, I always get so excited. Betsey’s clothing always makes me so happy.
6. Kreepsville 666- Check out the first Kreepville photoshoot I did last year with my “BEAUTY GHOUL DROPOUT” tank with my Pink latex SKULL purse. I’m doing a Kreepville shoot next week which I’m so excited about. I KNOW YOU ALL WILL LOVE IT!!!! The best thing about Kreepsville666 is that they mix a lot of my favorite genres, rockabilly, horror, psychobilly, goth, with punk horror. For some people, shopping Kreepsville is the perfect time of the year now since we are closer to Halloween, but if you are like me, it’s ALWAYS the the perfect time of the year wear KREEPSVILLE 666. Hehe!
You all know I’m a dancer and performer and love dancing in general so yesterday after I did my post on Kreepsville666, I did a sexy fun dance video in slo motion to the song, “SEVENTEEN YEAR LOCUST” by one of my favorite musicians and one of the greats, Rob Zombie! This was so much fun to do!
Tonight I’m reviewing some new items of from Kreepsville666! I immediately fell in love. I got two things from them. One a hot pink latex skull purse that looks almost like a bowling bag and a hot and sexy tank that says, “Beauty Ghoul Dropout,” (A hilarious spin off from the Frankie Avalon song in the movie Grease.” I love wearing and using both of my items and so happy to have discovered this company. It mixes my favorite genres of horror, pinup, and psychobilly. I definitely recommend this brand to anyone who likes this style of clothing and accessories and feel very special to add these pieces to my collection of awesomeness.
A SIDE NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO OWN OR WANT TO PURCHASE LATEX CLOTHING AND ACCESSORIES. THEY REQUIRE SPECIAL CARE. HERE ARE SOME TIPS ON CARING FOR LATEX RUBBER:
1. Sunlight will dry out latex. Avoid direct sunlight for long periods of time.
2. Avoid extreme heat around latex. Constant heat will pull the natural moisture from the latex.
3. Latex rubber in very humid conditions over time may cause mildew to appear. It’s wise to take care of your latex and keep it dry before storing it.
4. If certain moisturizers or makeup come in contact with latex, over time they will cause it to break down and/or become brittle.