Awhile ago, I did a post on Pinup and Rockabilly Fashion Essentials so I thought it would be fun to do a punk rock and roll version. I also love Rock and Roll, and music in general and I don’t know that I would do without it.
I’m all about creating your own style and look and not feeling like you need to look like anyone else or copy cat someone else’s look to feel like you belong or that you have to look a certain way. As long as you feel comfortable about yourself and what you show off and wear, that’s all that matters.
These are just ideas and suggestions if you are trying to develop and/or expand your own rocker style. These ideas are just to inspire you to create your own rocker look. All of the items I mention are pretty easy to find and can be found in many stores as well as online. I also wanted to mention that these “essentials,” are what I would personally start off with in creating a rocker look. You may have other things that you would consider an “essential” that differs from mine, which is absolutely great. The main purpose of this post is to get your creative juices flowing to build your own style.
Again these are just ideas and suggestions to be used as a general guide line to inspire your own creative juices. Take whatever you like, leave the ones you don’t like, and rock your bad ass self!
1. Leather Jacket- This seems like a pretty obvious rock and roll item. Depending on the brand, leather jackets can be really affordable to more designer labels that can be overly expensive. There are also a huge amount of styles. It really depends on how much you want to spend and the type of jacket cut you are looking for.
**For people who are vegan and/or against wearing leather, you still have options. Now a days, it’s very common for brands to make vegan, non-leather jackets and other clothing items. They’re very easy to find and I think it’s great that most places sell fake leather so people can enjoy wearing the “Look of Leather,” without having to wear the actual thing.
I also consider a leather jacket an essential item because not only do they give any look a rock and roll edge, from a pair of jeans and a t-shirt to fancy party dress, but leather jackets pretty much forever. I’ve had my coat for a long time and I still love wearing it. It definitely has a little wear and tear on the sleeves but very little, and for me, it looks more punk rock.
2. Studs and Spikes- Anything with spikes or studs are perfect for adding some extra flair. Whether it’s a pair of shoes, a belt, a handbag, metal adornments keep you looking edgy. The same as with leather jackets, accessories or clothing, prices can vary. Again it depends on how much money you want to spend. Pieces with real metal spikes tend to be a little more pricey than dupe spike and stud items. For example, I remember buying my spiked boots (the pair in my photo below) years ago and I remember that right after I purchased them, I saw a pair of copy cat boots at Target with spikes that looked real but when you looked closely at them, you could see that they were just plastic made to look the real deal which is why they were half the price of mine. I also feel that sometimes accessories with real seem to last a lot longer than cheaper items. With that said, I do have a piece or two with plastic decor that actually look cool and were made well. My black and gold spike and skull bra that I wear for dance aren’t real metal but looks and feels good.
3. Fishnets Galore- If you know me at all, you know I have a nice collection of lingerie and stockings. I can’t even tell you how many pair of fishnet stockings I have. They all have a different look to them though so I always have plenty of variety. Also fishnet gloves and clothing I definitely consider a rocker staple. Whether it’s a brand new pair with no tears, or an older pair of that have rips up and down the sides, fishnets will always be in style to me. You can find fishnet accessories almost anywhere, department stores, online, halloween and costume shops, etc.
4. Rock and Roll T-shirts- This is absolutely one of the “TOP STAPLES,” for creating your own rocker look. I love my collection of rock and roll shirts. Some of them I had gotten rid of a long time ago and I still wish I hadn’t. If you haven’t already, make sure to check out an older blog post I did last year titled, “GETTING CREATIVE WTH CONCERT T-SHIRTS,” which was all about wearing rock shirts in different and unique ways. Definitely go check out that blog post if you want any new ideas on how to wear your favorite musical tops.
5. Hair and Makeup- This is where you can get really creative! There is so much you can do with your hair and makeup to make you stand out from the rest of the crowd.
For hair, they’re so many things you can do with it to make it look rocker chic. These of course are just a few out for MANY ideas for inspiration. First, non-traditional hair color is always fun. Different and non-conventual colors, are actually more popular now than years ago where drugstores carry alternative hair color in blue, pink, purple and a lot more. If you don’t want to permanently commit , you can get semi-permanent hair dye. The first time I dyed my hair in high school, I used a semi-permanent color from the famous brand, “Tish & Snooky’s MANIC PANIC,” in VAMPIRE RED, which turned out absolutely fantastic. Manic Panic is a great brand and I’m so glad it’s still around after all these years. Definitely check them out.
If you don’t want to play with hair dye, different color extensions is a great option, as well as wigs, dread falls, etc. As I”m writing this , I’m rocking my dreads today.
For Makeup, again there are no limits to the looks you can create. Glitter, dark smoky eyes, dark and/or more “alternative ” lipsticks are always a good starting off point. You can find tons of rocker makeup images on Pinterest, youtube, and more for ideas and tutorials. I’ll probably do a fun rock tutorial soon.
Oh if you need any help or more inspiration on hair and makeup, I definitely would go on youtube to watch vids specifically on Rock and Roll looks.