These are products that people don’t always think about to think to incorporate into their skincare and make up regimen. I was one of those people a long time ago until I learned about these products when they first hit the beauty market and tried them out. After I first tried them, I wondered how I ever went without using these. All these products can make a huge difference when doing your makeup and skin care as well as changing and improving your skin. Of course you can get away with not using any of these items but once you try them, I guarantee that you’ll have a hard time not including them in your daily beauty ritual.
1. Toner- One of the main benefits of toning your skin is that it rids your skin of impurities. Facial toners are used after washing your face and before moisturizing your skin and can be used day and/or night. If you use a toner at night after removing your makeup, you rid your face of any excess makeup and oil residue that your remover and cleanser might not get. If your skin tends to be oily or acne-prone, toners can help a lot in clearing up and improving the quality of your skin.
To tone your skin, apply a dime to quarter size amount to a cotton pad/ball and gently rub it on your face. Never be harsh to your skin. You’ll be able to actually see all the impurities that were left behind on the pad. Once you’re done toning, apply your moisturizer as usual. Once you start toning on a regular basis, you’ll be able to see a difference pretty quickly in the appearance and feel of your skin.
Here are some of favorite toners. You’ve probably seen and read my reviews on some of these in the past. That’s how much I like and recommend these.
FRESH Rose deep hydration facial toner with rose petal
FRESH Rose floral toner spray- infused with soothing rosewater
THAYERS Natural Remedies, alcohol-free witch hazel toner
BENEFIT moisture prep toning lotion
2. Face Primer- The main function of a makeup primer is to increase the wear and longevity of your makeup. You apply it to your skin and usually wait a minute to let it work on your skin before you apply your makeup. Makeup primers even out the surface of your skin and doesn’t allow makeup to seep into your pores which can cause skin issues such as acne. Primers can help smooth any fine lines, wrinkles, and minimize pores. There is an endless amount of face primers on the market. They make them for all different skin types and some also have a “blurring effect,” which can camouflage imperfections and give you a flawless complexion. They can be worn with or without makeup. Some primers can also double as moisturizers as well.
Some of my favorite face primers include,
BOBBI BROWN Vitamin Enriched Face Base
STILA One step correct, skin tone correcting and brightening serum
SOAP & GLORY One Heck of a Blot Primer, instant perfecting power primer, with shine bloc 12 hr Matte Spheres and PORE-SHRINK technology
3. Eye Lid/Shadow Primer- You know when you wet your eye shadow brush to intensify the color and pigment of eye shadow? Eyeshadow primer does the same thing but better. People ask why you can’t use face primer on your eye lids and it’s because a lot of regular primers aren’t safe around the delicate area of your eyes. Lid primer like makeup primer keeps your makeup in place specifically your eye makeup from fading and shifting. It keeps your shadow from creasing as well which is always a good thing. A lot of people use their concealer as eye lid primer but I personally like the actual eye shadow primers better
Another purpose and tip for lid primer is to apply it under your eyes before you apply under eye concealer to keep it from creasing just like it prevents creasing on your eye shadow.
Suggested eye shadow primers,
THE BALM- Put a Lid on it, eyelid primer
M.A.C- Pro Longer Paint Pot
URBAN DECAY- Eyeshadow Primer Potion
4. Lip Scrub- Using a lip scrub definitely makes a difference when applying your lipstick. The purpose of a lip scrub is to get rid of the dead skin to make your lips smoother and easier to apply lip color and to make it look more even. It gently exfoliates your lips and leave them feeling extra soft and supple. If your lips are prone to to being chapped, scrubs can help that problem. Many lip scrubs also smell and taste yummy because of the sugar in the scrub and if the scrub is vegan, they are also edible. I prefer vegan edible lip scrubs.
These are my favorite lip scrubs:
JEFFREE STAR COSMETICS velour lip scrub in Strawberry Gum
BURT’S BEE’S sugar scrub
CHAPSTICK hydration lip scrub
HERE IS A LITTLE RECIPE ON MAKING YOUR OWN SCRUB AS WELL:
INGREDIENTS – Tablespoon of brown sugar or white sugar
-A dash of honey (just enough to make the sugar really stick together) OR a bit of olive oil/coconut oil
-A teeny tiny little drop of vanilla (it makes it smell yummy, but isn’t necessary.)
-A small container
DIRECTIONS AND HOW TO USE-
Mix a tablespoon of brown sugar with just enough honey (or olive oil) to get it to stick together. Once a week (twice at the very max) rub the scrub onto your lips, vigorously enough to loosen the dead skin.
Let it sit for 1 minute, and then wipe off with a damp washcloth. Apply lip balm after use.
5. Makeup Setting Spray- Setting Spray is the “TOPCOAT” to your makeup. It’s similar to a makeup primer. It keeps your makeup in place and keep it lasting throughout the day. Especially during this time of the year where the weather is getting hotter and hotter, setting spray is essential in keeping your makeup from melting and sliding off your face. You obviously apply setting spray when you’re finished with your makeup but you can also spray it throughout the day to refresh your look and to keep your skin hydrated.
My top favorite making sprays include,
URBAN DECAY ALL NIGHTER long-lasting spray
M.A.C Prep and Prime Fix
MAKEUP FOREVER Mist and Fix
*I did not take these product photos.