I love wearing concert shirts and usually buy one after a great show but sometimes it gets annoying when you can’t find your size, or the shirts are supposedly for men and you find yourself swimming in them. Especially if you find an older shirt in a vintage store that you must own but it’s two or three sizes too big.
Same thing with a lot of horror t-shirts. I’ll find a shirt that I love or know I can’t get anywhere else and I’ll buy it but can’t wear all the time because of the size.
I like showing off my figure and making my shirts flattering. Over the years, I’ve come up with some fun ideas on how to accomplish this with just a few basic items and a creative eye. Here are some ways to rock your band and spooky shirts in a new way.
1. Take your shirt and simply belt it. This is great if you want to show off your curves and it’s a very sexy look. Also roll up your sleeves at least twice to show off your arms. If the sleeves don’t stay up on their own, safety pin or bobby pin them rolled up.By belting your shirt at the waist, you create a very flattering top or if it’s really long, you can even wear it as a mini dress.
2. Twist one side of your shirt and secure with either a rubber band or hair tie. Once you do this you can leave the knotted end hanging out or tuck it in. Then if desired, roll up the bottom of your shirt once or twice to show off your midriff.
3. This look is similar to the second one but instead of using the side of your shirt, twist and knot the back of your shirt as tight as you want and secure with a rubber band or hair tie. Tuck under your shirt.
4. Get a pair of sharp scissors and get to slashing. Take your scissors to your shirt, unless it’s a rare one that you don’t want to change it, and make cuts wherever you want. You can cut the collar or sleeves off, cut from one shoulder to the other diagonally so it falls slightly off one shoulder, or make incisions to the back. Ripping is always good too. This is very fun to do and makes your shirt a definite “One of a Kind.”
5. This last idea is extremely creative! Take your oversized shirt and make it into an actual dress. I love the film, “Lords of Salem,” and wanted to have a shirt of the movie but the only one I could find was a men’s double extra large. I decided I wanted to turn it into a dress. I’m not the best seamstress so I collaborated with one of my friends on etsy and she sewed the garment together for me. I picked out the out the material, designed it, and mailed her the shirt and she came up with an exclusive “One of a Kind,” dress that I absolutely love wearing. The front of the dress is the front of the shirt of course but I love that I was able to use the back of the shirt as well to make my outfit complete. I decided on what I wanted with the ribbons, color scheme and the other fabric and my friend sewed together this masterpiece. This is definitely a bit time consuming but absolutely worth it.
Hope these ideas help you and have fun getting your creative juices flowing and go have fun with your T-shirts!